AD Navy Public Affairs Officer, Navy Spouse, and San Diego State University Graduate Student Kara Handley shares her knowledge and experiences with media literacy, and why education in this space is so important for children, service members, and their families especially with the social dilemma that most of us are experiencing.
Connect with Kara on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kara-handley-apr-m-35974788/
- What is media literacy education and its importance
- Resources available to parents to get media literacy education
- Why did it take so long for us to finally start with media literacy education?
- The immediate call to actions for our military families
- Common mistakes that people do without a critical understanding of media literacy
- Media literacy is the ability to access and analyze media messages to drill down and know what the intent is.
- The biggest suggestion to tackle the social dilemma that we are facing is to educate children and adults with media literacy.
- Do not rely on your social media feed to be your main form of news consumption. Fact-check the information from verified news sources and make sure to get different opinions.
Media Literacy Resources
- International Research and Exchanges Board Resources - The International Research & Exchanges Board is an international, nonprofit organization that specializes in global education and development. https://www.irex.org/
- National Association for Media Literacy Education - the leading nonprofit membership organization dedicated to advancing media literacy education in the United States. https://namle.net/
- News Literacy Project - The News Literacy Project, a nonpartisan national education nonprofit, provides programs and resources for educators and the public to teach, learn and share the abilities needed to be smart, active consumers of news and information and equal and engaged participants in a democracy. https://newslit.org/
- Checkology -- free online learning platform for news literacy. https://get.checkology.org/
- Get Smart Newsletter -- provides and debunks current examples of misinformation https://newslit.org/get-smart-newsletters/
- Informable - free media literacy skills-based gaming app https://informable.newslit.org/
- Is That a Fact? Podcast -- News Literacy Project’s podcast https://newslit.org/podcast/
- Media Literacy Now - Media Literacy Now is leading the grassroots movement to create a public education system that ensures all students learn the 21st-century literacy skills they need for health, well-being, economic participation, and citizenship. This advocacy group focuses more on K-12 education legislation but their resource page has a ton of great information and modules. https://medialiteracynow.org/
The World’s Largest Podcast Conference RETURNS! Join Jen Amos, in person or online, as she speaks at Podcast Movement on Wednesday, August 4, 2021 1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. (EDT). Register today at https://2021.podcastmovement.com/
Join Vets2Industry on Saturday, August 7, 2021 from 2 PM - 5:00 PM (EDT) as we bring military spouses the needed connections to resources, employment, and networking for their career goals. Meet our Keynote speaker as we celebrate New Beginnings...PCSing, new jobs, new school year...you name it! Register for FREE at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/4th-vets2industry-milspouse-networking-mixer-registration-163138484599
Military spouses are not just looking for a job—they are looking for a calling. Join us for this webinar so you can learn how to start a business, become self-employed, and maximize your military financial benefits. All attendees will get a free toolkit. Scott Tucker and Jen Amos from US VetWealth will present a new and useful toolkit for military spouses who are seeking agile and purposeful employment on Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 12:00 PM (EDT). Register for FREE at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/military-spouses-toolkit-for-agile-and-purposeful-employment-tickets-164542684599
Guest Applications are now open! Apply to be on our show at https://forms.gle/YdoNX9aR8RTEKpnCA
Stay updated! Subscribe to our newsletter http://eepurl.com/gTTOdT
For our latest news: https://mailchi.mp/8dcee1efe05c/holdingdownthefort
Visit our website https://www.holdingdownthefortpodcast.com/
Sponsored by US VetWealth - Protect and Leverage Your Wealth with The War Chest Strategy™. Schedule your FREE consultation call today at https://usvetwealth.com/war-chest-strategy/
November 2020, Jen Amos and Holding Down the Fort Podcast was awarded “Media Professional of the Year” at The Rosie Network Entrepreneur Awards! We've also been featured in multiple media outlets including Legacy Magazine, U.S. Veterans Magazine, The American MilSpouse, VeteranCrowd Network, It's a Military Life, VirtForce, Military Veteran Dad Podcast, and much more.