135: "When you hurt so bad, you think that people don't love you. But the truth is... they do." Healing and advocacy through storytelling with Olivia Nunn
What would you do if you finally said, "I need help," only to be told that the earliest you can be helped is in six months? This was the situation Lt. Col. Olivia Nunn and Soldier for Life Director of Communications found herself in when faced with many challenges around her military transition. Newly retired, Olivia openly shares her story and mental health advocacy as the podcast host and producer for the Never Stop Serving podcast series for Military Officers Association of America (MOAA). She brings light to the lack of resources for our military community, the importance of advocating for lower enlisted ranks, the turning point to her suicidal ideations, creating change as a community, and much more.
Connect with Olivia
- MOAA is the nation's largest and most influential association of military officers. It is an independent, nonprofit, politically nonpartisan organization. https://www.moaa.org/
- MOAA’s Never Stop Serving Podcast https://www.moaa.org/content/topic-and-landing-pages/moaas-never-stop-serving-podcast/
- Jen and Jenny Lynne's Interview - Holding Down the Fort - The Military Family and the Backbone that Keeps it Together https://www.buzzsprout.com/1847212/10184211-holding-down-the-fort-the-military-family-and-the-backbone-that-keeps-it-together
- If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts or a crisis, please reach out immediately to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 or dial 988, which has been designated as the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Learn more at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- For additional mental health resources, check out our past newsletter from December 13, 2021 https://us4.campaign-archive.com/?u=713c5c25a1186d1f165bc7edd&id=9228ea652a
The award-winning show, Holding Down the Fort by US VetWealth, returns for Season 6 to answer the biggest question for career military families, “So… when are we gonna get out?” and everything involved with answering this question.
Co-hosts Jen Amos and Jenny Lynne Stroup continue to converse with special guests from and for our military community to share knowledge, resources and relevant stories on how we can best “hold down the fort” while on active duty, going through transition, and into post-military life.
Holding Down the Fort is sponsored by US VetWealth. Navigate your military retirement pay and survivor benefit plan alternatives by getting FREE access to our white papers. We have a case study library for the following ranks: E7, E8, E9, O5 and O6. Visit https://usvetwealth.com/
Looking for a similar show to listen to? Check out our sister podcast show, The Spouse Benefit Plan, at http://thespousebenefitplan.com/
Stay connected and get the latest updates from our Holding Down the Fort by US VetWealth community by subscribing to our newsletter: http://eepurl.com/gTTOdT
March 2022, Jenny Lynne was voted the 2022 Naval Station Norfolk Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year. November 2020, Jen Amos was awarded “Media Professional of the Year” at The Rosie Network Entrepreneur Awards! The show continued to collect award nominations in the following years. September 2021, the show made the Final Slate in the 16th Annual People's Choice Podcast Awards for the Government & Organizations category. November 2021, the show was an Award Finalist for the 5th Annual National Veteran & Military Spouse Entrepreneur Awards. December 2021, the show became a Golden Crane Podcast Awards Nominee.
Holding Down the Fort has also been featured in multiple media outlets including Military Entrepreneur (M.E.) Magazine, MOAA’s Never Stop Learning Podcast, The Leadership Void Podcast, Sisters in Service Podcast, Lessons Learned for Vets Podcast, Get 2 Vet, Blue Star Families of Dayton & Southwestern Ohio, Legacy Magazine, U.S. Veterans Magazine, The American MilSpouse, VeteranCrowd Network, It's a Military Life, VirtForce, Military Veteran Dad Podcast, and much more.
Enjoy our show? Kindly leave us a written 5-Star review on Apple Podcasts https://apple.co/30SJ7NW, Podchaser https://bit.ly/3dnCacY, or write a LinkedIn Recommendation for Jen Amos https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenamos/edit/forms/recommendation/write/ or Jenny Lynne Stroup https://www.linkedin.com/in/jenny-lynne-stroup/edit/forms/recommendation/write/